To create an enabling environment that fosters economic development and improves the quality of life of the people of Barbados through the facilitation of trade, micro, small and medium sized enterprises, commerce, entrepreneurship, business development and consumer protection.
To foster a robust environment for micro, small and medium sized enterprises, commerce, business facilitation and consumerism that promotes sustainable economic growth and development in Barbados.
Who We Are/ Overview
The Ministry of Energy, Small Business and Entrepreneurship (MESBE) is a ministerial department of the Government of Barbados. The Ministry in its current configuration was established on the 26th of May 2018 and plays a key role in ensuring the continued development of the island’s business community, whilst simultaneously guaranteeing the provision of a fair and regulated marketplace. In order to ably execute its broad mandate the Ministry provides leadership and collaborates with a number of agencies, which fall under its ambit, these entities comprise:
- Small Business Development Unit
- Cooperatives Department
- Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
- Office of Public Counsel
- Office of the Supervisor of Insolvency
- Research and Planning Unit
- Barbados National Standards Institution (BNSI)
- Barbados Agency or Micro Enterprise Development (FundAccess)
- Fair Trading Commission (FTC)
- Barbados Trust Fund Limited